This tutorial covers the following topics:
- How to create a source reference
- How to edit a source reference
- How to add and edit an annotation
- How to delete and undelete source references
How to create a source reference
1. Click Sources in the navigation bar at the top of the screen to begin adding references to the project.
2. Click Create new citation.
3. When you create a new citation, you will be prompted to select where the source is and what type it is. The content of the list will vary depending on what project level you selected. The example below is using the Advanced level.
Once you select what the source is, a new citation form will appear in the next screen (below).
Note: If you have selected in your profile to display "Show Me" help screens when available, a help screen will appear first.
- Show Me is an online tutorial to demonstrate how to evaluate the source.
- Source Check lists other related forms that may fit your source.
- If you are comfortable citing a particular type of source and wish to hide this additional help, check the “Hide this help screen next time” box at the bottom of the page.
4. On the form, fill in as many details about your source as possible. Help text pops up with tips as you move from field to field.
5. A Guide at the top-right of the screen displays a formatting template. Click the blue tab (MLA Guide in the screenshot below) to open the guide. As you enter information in the form, the corresponding element is highlighted in the template.
7. As you type into a field, NoodleTools automatically checks for common errors with capitalization, abbreviations, and more. When a yellow warning triangle appears to the right of a field, mouse-over the triangle to view suggestions for how to correct the potential problem.
8. Submit the form to add your reference to your source list.
9. If there are multiple references in your source list, a link Jump to citation I just edited at the top of your bibliography takes you to the one you just added (which will also be highlighted in your list).
How to edit a source reference
1. Find the source reference you wish to edit and select Edit on the Options menu.
2. Modify the information about your source. You can either:
- Correct individual fields,
- Use the dropdown list(s) at the top of the form to change the source or content types (e.g., Journal instead of Magazine or Editorial instead of Article), or
- Modify the publication medium if necessary by selecting a different tab at the top of the form (e.g., Web Site instead of Print).
3. Check for any new data required if you have updated the publication medium or source/content type.
4. Click Submit.
How to delete and undelete source references
Deleting a reference from your source list:
Find the entry you wish to remove and select Delete on the Options menu.
Click OK when asked Are you sure you wish to delete the selected entries?
Deleting multiple references at once:
Mark the checkboxes on the left to the references you wish to delete.
Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click Delete.
Click OK when asked Are you sure you wish to delete all of the entries that are selected above?
- Click Undelete at the top of the screen.
- A Restore deleted citations window will appear that allows you mark checkboxes next to the items you wish to recover.
- Click Undelete.
NOTE: Notecards become unlinked from a source when the reference is deleted (they become “thought cards”). If you restore a reference, you will need to relink its notecards (either by editing each notecard and selecting the right item from the Source menu or by selecting multiple notecards on the Notecard Tabletop and clicking Link to source to relink all of them).